The Geneva Centre closely monitors the 52nd session of the UN Human Rights Council (HRC52), held from 27 February to 04 April 2023 at Palais des Nations in Geneva.
Join our HRC Mailing list to receive meeting summaries and weekly overviews.
During the 52 session, the Council considered thematic issues including adequate housing as a component of the right to an adequate standard of living, right to food, torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, right to privacy, freedom of religion or belief, role for good governance, right to development, rights of the child, rights of persons with disabilities, minorities, rights of persons with albinism, human rights of older persons, missing persons, human rights, climate change and the environment, and terrorism, among others.
Country-specific topics included an interactive dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on Afghanistan, an interactive dialogue with the Commission of Inquiry on Ukraine and an interactive dialogue on the High Commissioner’s oral update on Ukraine will also be held. Other country specific interactive dialogues was held on Sri Lanka, Nicaragua, Myanmar, Ethiopia, Syrian Arab Republic, Islamic Republic of Iran, Belarus, Venezuela, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Cambodia, Mali, Eritrea, and Libya. Additionally, the High Commissioner provided reports of the Office’s activities and oral updates of Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras and Cyprus.
The panel discussions analyzed human rights mainstreaming, the death penalty, the right to development, the rights of the child, the rights of persons with disabilities and the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
The President of the Human Rights Council announced the appointment of the following 10 Special Procedure mandate holders:
- Expert Mechanism on the Right to Development, Bonny Ibhawoh (Nigeria), Mihir Kanade (India), Klentiana Mahmutaj (Albania) and Isabelle Durant (Belgium);
- Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Binota Moy Dhamai (Bangladesh) and Dalee Sambo Dorough (United States);
- Special Rapporteur on the right to development, Surya Deva (India);
- Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Russian Federation, Mariana Katzarova (Bulgaria);
- Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent, Bina D’costa (Bangladesh);
- Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances, Ana Lorena Delgadillo Perez (Mexico).
For queries or comments contact Ms. Catia Trevisani: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cover photo: credits Salvatore Di Nolfi / Keystone